What can I control on race day?
One of your main races is coming up and you are anxious. Focusing on positivity will help immensely. We want nothing but positive thoughts on race day (always). My advice is to avoid the people who are negative on race morning. Simply smile and walk away. Get your game face on, whatever it is.
Remember to also focus on what is under your control and what is not.
Common factors which are under your control are:
- Knowing the race course
- Your equipment
- What your race strategy will be – how hard will you push yourself
- Technique, and
- Your nutrition (before, during, and after)
Some common factors which are out of your control:
- The weather
- Equipment concerns – flats (you should know how to fix)
- The competition, other participants
- What is at the aid stations
Time to buck up and be realistic if you haven’t put in the training you wanted to. Everyone has a life outside of triathlon and if you are not a paid professional triathlete, you have probably done your best. Don’t dwell on the past, be present and focus on what you are going to do in the moment. Keep it real, homey.